Friday, January 11, 2013

7/11 post-my current 7 beauty faves!

So this is my version of the monthly favourites post-I love reading other favourites posts!  On the 11th of each month I chose my current 7 favourite products...and here they are for January.....

The very cute little girl in the top right is my niece Violet! 


Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant

1-Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant

I adore this gentle, rice based exfoliator!  It is suitable for all skin types and for both men and woman.  I don't use it daily but probably use it 3 times a week after I cleanse my face in the shower in the morning.  It's different to any facial exfoliator I have used before in that its a powder that you tip into your hand (about half a teaspoons worth) and then mix with a tiny bit of water to form a paste which you then wash your face with then rinse.  It contains Papain (to remove dead skin cells), Salicylic Acid (anti blemish) and Rice Enzymes (for brightening and exfoliating) and aims to leave skin smoother and brighter.  It's really gentle and not at all abrasive and gets a big thumbs up from me.  I hate 'sticky' exfoliators that are difficult to wash off (like Origins Never A Dull Moment which to me is like smearing marmalade on your face) so this one is great as it removes easily without any residue.

Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink and Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Eye Liner

2-Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner

Feel like I am finally on the gel eyeliner bandwagon!  I don't wear eyeliner everyday and it's one of the products I find quite difficult to use in general and have used pencils and liquid eyeliner before but never gel.  I find this really easy to use though.  I still need to practice but I'm really glad I bought it.  I also bought the Bobbi Brown application brush which is easy to control.  I have heard it dries out quite quickly so I must make the effort to use it before that happens!!

Hourglass Visionaire eyeshadow duo in Dune

Swatches-left without primer and right over primer

3-Hourglass Visionaire eyeshadow duo in Dune

In July I was in London working and my office is in Knightsbridge-which is 10 steps from Harrods and right next door to Space NK-and therefore lethal for the bank balance of someone like me!!!

I'd never heard of Hourglass until I ventured into Space NK and I picked this up on a whim.  But I absolutely love it.  The eyeshadow is so buttery, no fall out, easy to blend and really highly pigmented.  You can see there isn't much difference between the swatches with and without primer-although the primer gives a smoother surface on which to apply the shadow.

I would describe the colours as an antique gold and a blackened green with gold highlights.  I have blonde hair and green eyes and I love wearing green eyeshadow.  Next time I am in the UK I will definitely be checking out more of the range-I also have 3 of their lipglosses currently but really want to try their primer.

Mac 130  Duo fibre face brush

4-Mac 130 brush

Ok so actually I don't love this brush, but I love the technique.  I have been wanting to try applying foundation with a brush for a long time but my past experience hasn't been good.  But then I was using a flat foundation brush and I found I had to use a lot more product and so I just gave up.  I was recently at Mac and I asked what was the best brush for applying foundation and the girl recommended I try this duo fibre brush.  And I really love the effect BUT I have been finding the brush does shed quite badly and picking black hairs off your face is not one bit attractive!  However, I have ordered some Real Techniques brushes and I am hoping I won't get the shedding problem-can't wait for them to arrive.  However, I am now converted to applying foundation with a brush-this brush does work really well with my current foundation as well which is the Make Up Forever HD foundation.  Oh and I used the same amount of product I normally would applying it with my fingers.


Benefit Brow Zings in Medium with a Mac 208 angled brush

5-Benefit Brow Zings in Medium

I really like this compact powder for filling in my eyebrows.  The kit comes with a powder, a wax, a mini tweezers and 2 mini brushes.  When I tried to use the mini brushes I couldn't get the technique right at all so I use my Mac 208 angled brush which is the perfect tool for the job!  I don't really use the wax but the powder is great!  The Benefit website has a good 'how to' guide and recommendeds mixing the wax and powder together which I might try.  It should last a long time as well as a little goes a long way!

Mac Mineralize blush in Warm Soul and Skin Food Apple Can Multi Blush in Apple-Orange

Swatches-left Mac Warm Soul and right Skin Food Apple-Orange
6 and 7-Mac Warm Soul blush and Skin Food Apple Can Multi Blush

6 and 7 are blushes-both with coraly tones

Mac Warm Soul is from the Mineralize range and is described by Mac as a 'mid tone biege with gold pearl'.  I agree more with the temptalia.com review of it where Christine describes it as a 'peachy colour with a little bit of dirty red to it.  It has gold shimmer flecked into it and it works really to brighten skin'.  I find the Mineralize blushes to be very buildable and I tend to try and use the lightest touch as they are quite pigmented but also quite shimmery.  However, it can be used for daytime without looking like a disco ball!  I found out about this from one of Tanya Burr's tutorial videos.  I'm paler than Tanya so I think it suits all skin tones.

I picked up the Skin Food blush in Bangkok and I have just discovered today they have 3 stores in Dubai!!  I LOVE this and have been wearing it everyday-and it was ridiculously cheap-like about £4.  It's multi tonal and you can pick out the lightest shade with a small brush and use as a highlighter but its just the perfect natural pinky-peach and is really 'glowy'.

Please link me to your favourites posts!  Would love to hear if you're loving any of these products too!

Share:

2 comments

  1. Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner is my absolute favourite, I wear it every day and don't feel fully dressed without it! I perfected my technique by watching Pixiwoo's make up tutorials on You Tube, they really helped. You should check them out, if you haven't already.

    Jo x
    www.woobered.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I went to thе beach with my kids.
    I fοunԁ a sеa ѕhell and gave іt to mу 4 yеar old daughter
    and sаіd "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." Shе put the
    shеll to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inѕidе аnd it pinched her ear.
    Ѕhe nevеr wants to go back! LoL I κnow thіѕ іs entirely off tοрic but I had to tell ѕomеone!
    Feel free to visit my web page : Please click the up coming article

    ReplyDelete

© Expat Make Up Addict | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig