Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dewy make-up

I got my first make-up related question!  Thank you Martyne.

The question is about dewy make-up and how to achieve a look that is less oil slick and more glowingly radiant.... I am guessing like this??


I have to say, my friend Martyne looks remarkably like Hayden Panettiere pictured above already!

When you think 'dewy' you think radiant, glowing, youthful, fresh-how doesn't want to look like that?!

Dewy make-up is all about the skin prep.  I am NOT a make-up artist or work in the industry but here would be my tips for creating a dewy make-up look above and some of the products you can use.


You're going to need to moisturise, prime, highlight and then add tinted moisturiser/foundation and a TINY bit of powder to set the look.

I've recently started using Kiehls Rosa Artica moisturisor and I have found you only need a tiny bit and it really plumps up your skin and makes it glow before you add any additional make-up.  It's rich without being heavy and I'm a big fan already.

After applying your moisturiser you need to add a primer-this will help to ensure your foundation/tinted moisturiser lasts without having to constantly re-touch during the day.  Primers can be used to help create a dewy look-look for statements like 'illuminating, light reflecting or brightening' when shopping for primer.  My favourite radiance adding primers are Benefit 'That Gal' which has light reflecting pigments, as does Make Up Forever HD Primer in 05 which has a blue tint to it to add radiance.  I've also read good things about Revlon Photo Ready Perfecting Primer and Smashbox Photo Finish and Laura Mercier do a range of primers for all skin types.  A brilliant illuminating liquid that you can mix with your moisturiser or with your foundation before applying is Mac Strobe Cream.  It comes in a liquid or cream depending on whether you have dry or oily skin (lotion for oily, cream for dry).  I have used this and love it-in fact I must add this to my shopping list!!  It really does freshen, illuminate and boost dull skin.  It can also be used as a standalone highlighter.






Once you have applied your primer allow it to settle into your skin-if you have time wait 5 mins.  Then add a light coverage foundation or tinted moisturiser-Mac or Laura Mercier have a great range for light coverage-you want something with a satiny finish and that is lightweight.  I'd also recommend Dior Nude foundation and Make Up Forever HD foundations.  They key is to ensure you blend really really well to ensure you get a very natural finish.  I prefer to use my fingers for blending foundation but a foundation brush or damp sponge will get a very professional finish.

If you're going to wear blusher, apply it now-cream is the best texture to use rather than powder to create a dewy finish.

It's up to you whether you then set your foundation with powder, or you add highlighter and then finish with powder.

For a dewy look I would recommend a light dusting of a colourless powder like Mac prep and prime loose powder, Make Up Forever HD microfinish powder or Illamasqua loose powder in 010.  The idea here is not to give you a matt finish and these white powders will set your make up without changing the colour of your foundation-again, blend well though.  You wont need to apply everywhere-just your t-zone to keep excess shine at bay and set your foundation.




Finally a touch of a liquid highlighter across the top of your cheekbones (in a 'c' shape around the outer eye), tip of your nose, temples, cupids bow and browbone will finish your look.  You can get great highlighters from Benefit, Mac, Illamasqua and Nars-some I personally recommend would be High Beam from Benefit, Gleam from Illamasqua and Nars The Multiple in Copacabana.




If you do have very oily skin then this may be a difficult look to maintain during the day as it will highlight any open pores.  It may be better to use a matt moisturiser, primer and foundation and then just use the highlighter to get that dewy glow.  However, a quick swipe of a powder like Mac Blot Powder or oil blotting tissues throughout the day will keep shine at bay.

Don't forget also-if you buy an oil free primer its best to work with an oil free foundation rather than a water based one-and vice versa.  Otherwise you may end up with a 'piling' effect on the skin when the oil meets the water.

Martyne has a brilliant fashion blog which you can follow here....  http://goingtheextrastyle.com 

 


Share:

4 comments

  1. I can't believe you look like her! HELLO BIGHEAD! I actually LOVE that look she has in the picture! I am definitely going to check out MUFE produts I have never tried them before. LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! the post! Thanks XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so like her! And I've seen piccies of you where you're a spit of Jennifer Aniston too, well a younger version-naturally blessed in the looks department-you can tell Ben I said that! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I've been searching for a while how to get this look as I think it's perfect for this seasons, thank you very much!
    http://lastyearsheroxo.blogspot.co.uk/ xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome sweetheart-I've followed your blog and you on twitter :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete

© Expat Make Up Addict | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig